The first few minutes shows the before situation. Lots of embarrassing pictures here, but I don't like to point fingers since I'm sure we are have areas like this in our own plants. Plenty of examples of things not having standard homes. Boxes on top of cabinets, under desks, and on top of other boxes. Left over scraps in piles.
As the participants clean up, you'll see the junk yard created outside where their lugging the unwanted items. The pile just keeps getting bigger.
5S isn't just about cleaning up, though. Aside from the 5S before and after pictures, there's some insightful comments during the closing session (start at 7:13 in the video).
- Goal was to increase productivity in their Paint area.
- Reduced work in process.
- Reduced square footage usage.
- Generated a whole wall of Post-its identifying problems.
- Organizing the work space made things easier to find.
- Lines on the floor to standardize the floor space.
- Arrows on the flow indicate flow.
Hopefully, they were able to standardize and sustain. Check out the video below:
I've added this video to my collection of free lean videos.
If you're interested in a 5S training game, check out the 5S Number Game.